Expert Witness Services
Construction Defect Litigation Experts
Construction litigation firms and their clients trust us to provide informed, accurate data regarding their building envelope issues. We have extensive experience with the litigation process and have successfully testified as experts at many jury trials and arbitration proceedings throughout the USA.
Construction Litigation Consulting Services
Our services include failure assessment and performance analysis of all types of distressed building enclosure systems and components. This typically involves in-depth forensic analysis and identification of causes of system failures.
- Independent investigation and analysis of issues regarding a claim
- Document review and analysis
- Review and analysis of other expert reports
- Site investigations to review field conditions
- Site testing to confirm building performance
- Identification of issues and necessary actions to resolve claims
- Consultation to provide expert input about claim resolution
- Rendering of expert opinions
- Written and oral reports to present expert opinions and supporting documentation
- Provide expert presentations and consultation at mediation and arbitration proceedings
- Provide expert testimony at depositions and trials
Our team specializes in all areas of the building enclosure, including wall systems, glazing systems, waterproofing, and roofing. Our objective is to investigate and evaluate claims using a fair and objective approach that follows a logical process and is supported by the construction sciences. We have decades of experience in claims review analysis and are seasoned in the field as well as the courtroom.
Mr. Beers has over 32 years of experience in the window and glazing trade and with building envelopes. He is a leading expert with glazing systems, facades, water leakage, wind mitigation and hurricane damage.
Mr. Smith has approximately 50 years of experience in the design and construction of glazing systems and building envelopes. He is a certified building contractor and a member of several industry associations. He has served successfully as an envelope expert in hundreds of cases throughout the country.
Mr. Matthews has over 35 years of experience working with exterior glazing and wall systems, and specializes in the installation and performance of these systems. He has consulted with owners, architects, engineers, insurers, attorneys and builders on hundreds of projects throughout the US and Caribbean.
Mr. Alzamora has 15 years of experience working on buildings with envelope performance problems, conducting forensic evaluations that lead to remedial design and management of replacement or rehabilitation programs, as well as associated litigation support services. He is bi-lingual (Spanish & English).
Mr. Taylor has over 25 years of experience in civil and structural engineering, design, and construction. This includes the investigation and analysis of defects in commercial, industrial, and residential buildings for attorneys, insurance companies, and property owners.
Mr. Bondurant has 7 years of experience leading forensic investigations of all types of building envelope failures, including identification of causes and solutions. He has also worked extensively in providing clients with leadership in proper construction of roofs, walls and glazing systems in new buildings.
Ms. Serafini has been a member of the GCI team since 2009. She has 12 years of experience working with exterior glazing, walls and waterproofing systems specializing in the design, installation, water infiltration resistance and performance assessment of these systems.
Methodologies For Forensic Investigation Of Construction Defects
Construction defects happen. Sometimes it's a design or installation error, other times the building components simply fail. We use proven methodologies to conduct our forensic investigations and testing, so that we may provide you with expert opinions that hold up under scrutiny.
While many recognized methodologies exist for the investigation of various failures and defects, we understand and apply the most appropriate for your case and circumstances.
We often utilize the following investigation and testing standards:
Storm Damage Investigation Methodologies
While many recognized methodologies exist for the investigation of various failures and defects, we understand and apply the most appropriate for your case and circumstances. Here are a few of the standards we use to evaluate your storm damage.
- ASTME576 - Standard Test Method for Frost/Dew Point of Sealed Insulating Glass Units in the Vertical Position
- ASTM E2128 - Standard Guide for Evaluating Water Leakage of Building Walls
- ASTM D7053 - Standard Guide for Determining and Evaluating Causes of Water Leakage of Low-Sloped Roofs
- ASTM D5957 - Standard Guide for Flood Testing Horizontal Waterproofing Installations
- ASTM E1105 - Standard Test Method for Field Determination of Water Penetration of Installed Exterior Windows, Skylights, Doors, and Curtain Walls, by Uniform or Cyclic Static Air Pressure Difference
The application of appropriate standards, combined with our years of experience in the field focusing solely on the building envelope, sets us apart from others